Monday, April 26, 2010

National anthems and the Soviet Union!

Tonight while browsing YouTube, I got a link to national anthem of former Soviet Union. I like listening to the national anthems of different countries; in a glance it might tell you something about a country or an era. I could somehow feel myself in the soviet years listening to the USSR anthem; Vladimir Lenin and Bolshevik revolution of 1917 and general secretaries of the communist party: Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev, Leonid Brezhnev, Yuri Andropov and Konstantin Chernenko for very short terms and finally Mikhail Gorbachev, respectively. After the collapse of Soviet Union Boris Yeltsin, Vladimir Putin and Dmitri Medvedev came to power as the Russian Federation presidents. I have all the names in my mind now!!! The lyrics start with “Unbreakable union of freeborn republics…” the unbreakable broke fairly easily in 1991!

Actually, I have been always interested in Russia; maybe this comes back to the years living in northern part of Iran near Caspian Sea where sometimes I used to tune to Russian TV stations. Once when I was a child while swimming in the sea, my father was afraid maybe I would go far away and drown myself! I asked him what would happen if I could swim for a few days and go through the sea and he answered that I would probably emerge in Russian coast!!!

I have always liked Russian music and even now I have a few Russian music albums in my phone. That’s maybe against the interest of some patriotic Iranians who truly believe that Russians stole many parts of Iran in wars! Actually some parts of ancient Soviet Republics such as Azerbaijan republic, Armenia, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan etc were some parts of Persian Empire until centuries ago.

An interesting point: Nazi Germany anthem has been removed by YouTube due to legal issues supposedly!


No comments:

Post a Comment